Adrian Benson and Jonathan chew the fat about TotalCon 2017 in the first ever Wargaming Recon live show at the con. As a side note from the show note monkey, I’m jealous!
The longest-running tabletop wargaming podcast on the planet
Just to clarify it wasn’t the Bates Motel, it was the Best Western Royal Plaza in Marlborough, their convention rate = $129 for a standard room and $159 for a deluxe room which has a microwave and a fridge, nicer decor, the standard room doesn’t. Lets face it, if you’re there for the con, you’re there to game and not sleep!
- Larger venue so can fit many more games
- Located near a variety of places to eat. Loved the Indian restaurant we went to.
- Lots of smaller rooms for more intimate games or specialized programs.
- Parking lot is HUUUUUGE. Plenty of space for everyone.
Hotel Cons (Not gaming cons or comic ones)
- We had bugs in the room when I arrived. Only ladybugs but still. Hotel promptly resolved.
- Got stuck in the elevator once. Was told it a common occurrence.
- There’s 4 elevators but they’re in a central bank. So many people queuing up & most elevators full.
- Took more than 30 min to bring stuff in to the hotel. All carts were in use or hidden. We had to park far.
- Layout is bit of a maze at first. Con ran out of books so we couldn’t our find way around.
- New location is much further away than old for me. Had to drive on 495 (Aussie thinks your slang for highway is weird) to get here…that’s a pain.
- Weird experience at hotel restaurant last night (May have been hit on by a big bearded biker named Pam). Ended up getting dinner elsewhere.
Michael Johns ran this fantastic fantasy game. It was Johns first time playing and had a blast. Michael modified the game for a con setting where each player has a wizard and a warband they control. They venture into the ruins of Frostgrave, killing monsters, completing missions, earning points. to add a bit of flare, the player with most points at end of round 8 wins. It reminds Jonathan of Mordheim or Stratholme in WoW. He is totally head over heels for this game.
Tabletop gaming documentary being done by Steve Wollett of Nerd Rage News. Adrian & Jonathan were both interviewed because of Wargaming Recon. The film should release to film festivals later in 2017. It will hopefully be shown at TotalCon 2018. Here are some familiar faces we should expect to see!
There were a few things we picked up on during the occasion. Things such as having the tables numbered in the gaming hall and better navigation of the hotel would have made the experience a tad more enjoyable. All round though, anytime you get to be with other gamers in a great atmosphere always magnifies the positive!
Via our Facebook page:
- Listener Alyssa said of Episode 175: Cigar Box Battle Mat Review “I do like their mats.”
- Listener Chris said of Episode 175: Cigar Box Battle Mat Review “Hotz mats does the same but the patch isn’t as garish.”
Comment on our Facebook page about an episode & it might get read on air!
Do You Like Wargaming Recon, then Review the show
iTunes and Stitcher Radio are some of the most popular ways for listeners to find podcasts. Why not help a potential new listener find our show and help grow the hobby?
Patreon backers get the newest episodes FIRST
Don’t want to wait? Support Wargaming Recon through Patreon. It costs as little as $1 per per month. That is less than a cup of coffee.
Thank you to:
- Chris Parker of Day of Battle Games
- Kyle from Vermont
$2 away from next Patreon Goal
- We suggest Mobile Users use Pocket Casts ($3.99 for iOS, Lite version is FREE). $3.99 for Android users.
- Read the Episode Guide for sneak peeks at future episodes.
- Next Episode is 179 releasing on March 27 2017
Many thanks to Jeremy Kostiew, Troll ITC’s logo designer, for our amazing logo. Check out his portfolio at MightyNightGaunt.com
Contact Wargaming Recon
We hope you enjoy this episode of Wargaming Recon and welcome your feedback. Send it all to:
- Jonathan@WargamingRecon.com (Audio files welcome)
- Leave Telephone Voicemail: (347) 470-4263
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Find us on Facebook
- Stitcher Radio
- Send a Voicemail (free, you only need a microphone and computer).
This recording is licensed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.
Wargaming Recon is dedicated to the memory of long time listener Andrew who helped to give the show its name. I ask all listeners to join me in a moment of silence in Andrew’s honor.