Wargaming With Kids
Jonathan shares tips for adults hoping to get kids into wargaming. These are also useful for wargaming parents looking to find a wargaming event at which their child can play.
- Simplify the rules
- Fun is the goal
- Durability is important
- BONUS: Whenever you see the name Mike Paine as a GM at a game day or a convention you NEED to sign up to play in Mike’s games. He is a superstar GM and he’s fantastic with kids. He always says that his games are for kids and adults who will play nicely with kids. Whenever I see his name at a con I immediately sign up for his stuff. Plus he’s an all around nice guy.
- Listener Shae e-mailed asking about WWII wargaming options for their 11 year old son. They also said “I do hear a similar refrain from other guys when I worry that they might not want a kid participating in their game-‘who will the next generation be if we don’t help them get interest in wargaming and make it fun?'”
Via our Facebook page:
- Frequent guest Aaron Bostian said “Hearing Mr. Hyde talk on your show always seems to define everything I like about tabletop miniature gaming.”
- Listener Dave shared photos of a 2mm portable wargaming setup on the page. This created a lot of comments.
- Listener Michael commented about the 2mm portable wargaming saying “The more I look at these the more I consider dropping to 2mm…blast you guys”
- Stevbee from Canada left a 4 star review titled Great Stuff! saying “A great podcast full of a variety [of] good quality information.”
- Josh Weaver from the UK left a 4 star review titled Cheers saying “Thanks fo ran excellent podcast! I’ve only recently discovered the podcast and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the cast and the dedication to improving that quality…all in all a great podcast! Happy gaming”
We’re up to 10 ratings with an average score of 4.3 stars! Please take the time to REVIEW the show on iTunes. It helps others to find our show and it also helps to grow the hobby. Thank you to those who have rated and reviewed us.
Do You Like Wargaming Recon?
If you like what you hear and you use iTunes to get our content we ask a favor of you. Please consider reviewing us on iTunes.
iTunes is one of the most popular ways for listeners to find podcasts. Why not help a potential new listener find our show and help grow the hobby?
Over the years I’ve had a variety of guests on the show. Now I need to know who YOU want me to have on the show. Please CONTACT ME with who you want me to get on the show. If you can share their contact information or an introduction that is even better.
Henry Hyde, editor of Miniature Wargames with Battlegames AND author of The Wargaming Compendium has released a new product. The Wars of the Faltenian Succession compiles his 12 part series (originally published in Battlegames magazine) into one PDF. It has color photos, live links to external websites and other pages in the pdf.
To further help Jonathan has a mission for each of you. He will make a donation to Combat Stress for every single sale he generates.
How does this work?
- BUY The Wars of the Faltenian Succession (3.5 GBP, $5.99 USD)
- Tell me you bought the compilation because I mentioned it on the show
- I make a donation to Combat Stress
Isn’t that easy? Three simple steps and every one of us wins. You get a fantastic product. Henry gets to see how much people like his work. Combat Stress receives donations from Henry and from myself.
After purchasing the compilation you will receive two e-mails. The first is a Paypal confirmation. The second one comes from Henry’s eShop with the actual file. The second e-mail may be delayed. It can take up to four days for Paypal to tell Henry’s eShop that you actually made a purchase. Henry is working on a fix.
Upcoming Guests for Wargaming Recon
- Steven MacLauchlan, head podcaster at WWPD: News From the Front podcast, will be the featured guest on Episode 122.
- Jasper Oorthuys, managing editor publications for Karwansaray Publishers, will share the results of The Great Wargaming Survey on Episode 123.
- Read the Episode Guide for sneak peeks at future episodes.
- Some mobile listeners have problems hearing the show with Apple’s Podcasts App. We suggest using a different app like Pocket Casts ($1.99 for iOS, Lite version is FREE).
- Subscribe to us on iTunes
Wargaming Recon belongs to the Troll in the Corner Podcast Network (TCPN). You may like some of the other shows on the network.
Indie Talks – bi-monthly on Wednesdays covering independent games, film, television. Includes many interviews. Hosted by Trollitc owner Ben Gerber.
Monsters of the Shattered World – monthly on the last Saturday. Story of a young scholar encountering strange animals on another world.
Promos for the TCPN podcasts appear at the end of the show. Many thanks to Jeremy Kostiew, Troll ITC’s logo designer, for the amazing logos. Check out his portfolio at MightyNightGaunt.com
12-7-Games.com Proudly Sponsors Wargaming Recon
Need gaming supplies? Please consider our sponsor, 12-7-Games.com.
BlueHost Affiliate Signup
I want to send out a special word of thanks to the folks behind the following domains that were used to create a new hosting account with BlueHost with my Blue Host affiliate link recently. As you know, I earn a commission each time someone clicks through my link to sign up with Blue Host. So thank you!
Accounts that were created recently:
– Why not get incredible web hosting for your blog, podcast, or website? Signup with BlueHost
Note: The fact that I have linked to these accounts is only to acknowledge that these folks have used my affiliate link to create a hosting account with BlueHost. These links are not an endorsement of any content that may be posted to these sites. If you ever recognize content blatantly offensive at any of these links, please let me know and I will be sure to evaluate and consider if the link should be removed from this post. These accounts are all brand new and may not be active yet. Also, it is possible that some of these domains were previously owned and my not have been transferred to BlueHost just yet.
Penny for Your Thoughts
We hope you enjoy this episode of Wargaming Recon and welcome your feedback. Send it all to:
- email@example.com (Audio files welcome)
- Leave Voicemail: (347) 470-4263
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Find us on Facebook
- Stitcher Radio
- Send a Voicemail (free, you only need a microphone and computer).
This recording is licensed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.