Alex Kostopoulos joins Jonathan to discuss how he crafts a homebrew game. The two discuss some game design before diving into a larger topic of tabletop gaming & the Lord of the Rings.
The longest-running tabletop wargaming podcast on the planet
The Home Brewery
The premise of Alex’s game puts players into a miniatures dungeon crawl in the style of the old school video game Gauntlet. Players must destroy monster spawn points in order to trigger the arrival of a monster lieutenant. After destroying enough monster lieutenants the enemy boss appears. Once the players kill the boss they’ve won!
Along the way they need to kill rank & file monsters, earn golf coins, seek treasure in aptly-named treasure chests, and potentially go on interesting quests. Working in a team is a necessity if the players are to have any hope of winning this cooperative game.
Alex’s Game Design Goals
- Make the game quick and easy to play
- The game should require very few miniatures
- Players are given respawns to allow extended gameplay with fewer figures
- Listener Dave said of the Extra Life Last Charge of Lasalle eBay Charity auction “These are gonna fly buddy.”
- Listener David said of the Extra Life Fundraiser “We’ll talk it up. Can never go wrong with 24hrs of gaming.”
Do You Like Wargaming Recon, then Review the show
iTunes and Stitcher Radio are some of the most popular ways for listeners to find podcasts. Why not help a potential new listener find our show and help grow the hobby?
Patreon backers get the newest episodes FIRST
Don’t want to wait? Support Wargaming Recon through Patreon. It costs as little as $1 per per month. That is less than a cup of coffee.
Thank you to:
- Dave & the Wargames @ BattleShades Facebook group
- Chris Parker of Day of Battle Games
- Kyle from Vermont
$16 away from next Patreon Goal
The 24hr Game-a-thon is November 5, 2016. Jonathan is fundraising to benefit Boston Children’s Hospital. Extra Life raises money for kids who need medical treatment but can’t afford it. Please make a tax deductible donation if you can here.
eBay Charity Auctions
- Out of Print James Clavell’s Shogun card game. Bluffing/betting system. Rated 6.1 on BoardGameGeek
BID Here currently at $8.50 USD! Donated by co-host Mike Paine
Please bid generously on the auctions if you are so able. This is for the kids. Proceeds go to the fundraiser!
Become a Wargaming Recon Sponsor:
Wargaming Recon is Proudly Sponsored by:
The Maine Historical Wargamers Association (they’re the people behind HUZZAH “Historical Wargaming for New England”) are the sponsor for the show. So grateful for their support. Please be sure to go to Huzzah May 19-21, 2017 at the Doubletree Inn in South Portland, Maine. Wargaming Recon will record a live show at Huzzah 2017.
- We suggest Mobile Users use Pocket Casts ($3.99 for iOS, Lite version is FREE). $3.99 for Android users.
- Read the Episode Guide for sneak peeks at future episodes.
Mike Paine’s 2016 Convention Schedule
Many thanks to Jeremy Kostiew, Troll ITC’s logo designer, for our amazing logo. Check out his portfolio at MightyNightGaunt.com
Contact Wargaming Recon
We hope you enjoy this episode of Wargaming Recon and welcome your feedback. Send it all to:
- Jonathan@WargamingRecon.com (Audio files welcome)
- Leave Telephone Voicemail: (347) 470-4263
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Find us on Facebook
- Stitcher Radio
- Send a Voicemail (free, you only need a microphone and computer).
This recording is licensed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.
Wargaming Recon is dedicated to the memory of long time listener Andrew who helped to give the show its name. I ask all listeners to join me in a moment of silence in Andrew’s honor.