This episode we are joined by Jasper Oorthuys (pronounced Yasper Oar-ties) who is the managing director for Karwansaray Publishers. He is also editor of Ancient Warfare magazine. We first discussed the Great Wargaming Survey in 2014 on The Great Wargaming Survey: Episode 123, which has been downloaded almost 3,000 times! Mike Paine takes the co-host seat this time around.
The 2017 Great Wargaming Survey
Jasper gives us the scoop into the GWS, he tells us what they are aiming to achieve. How and what kind of information gets collected. (“A lot better than the 2016 Australian census” says Joshua Shoobridge). Jasper also discusses the trends of 2017 and compares that with changes from prior years. One thing they look at is how they appeal to the average wargamer. One thing of note is that Age of Sigmar is the least played game mentioned in the survey. Surprise surprise, World War 2 is the most played genre of game played among those surveyed. Listen for more to get it all from Jasper himself.
- Listener Gabriel said of Ep 185: How to Prep a Convention Game “For the first 10 years of wargaming I was able to keep my purchases to less than $100 a year. Then again I was doing 1/72 and Ebay is your friend for deals, but folks shouldn’t feel that it needs to be expensive. Some times that is part of the fun finding the stuff at discount or scratch building. Right now we’re doing a lot of scratch builds on the Victorian Science Fiction (VSF) Miniature Gaming Association group. Now, as I am older and I DO have more income laying around, sure, I have to watch my spending because I can easily do $1000 a year if I am not careful, but that is self inflicted so.”
- 5 star review titled “Top Notch” from landencelano of the Grunt Work Podcast “Really impressed with the quality of the content and how enjoyable it was even being semi-unfamiliar with the topic. Unique perspective. Can’t wait to consume all there is to listen to. “
Per Nerd Broadcasting Network the Roku channel is mere weeks away from going live, at least as of this recording. When we have more info we will share it with you so you can access the new video content we are releasing
Patreon backers get the newest episodes FIRST
Don’t want to wait? Support Wargaming Recon through Patreon. It costs as little as $1 per per month. That is less than a cup of coffee.
Thank you to:
- Chris Parker of Day of Battle Games
- Kyle from Vermont
$55 away from next Patreon Goal
- We suggest Mobile Users use Pocket Casts ($3.99 for iOS, Lite version is FREE). $3.99 for Android users.
- Read the Episode Guide for sneak peeks at future episodes.
- Next Episode is 190 releasing on August 21 2017
Many thanks to Jeremy Kostiew, Troll ITC’s logo designer, for our amazing logo. Check out his portfolio at MightyNightGaunt.com
Contact Wargaming Recon
We hope you enjoy this episode of Wargaming Recon and welcome your feedback. Send it all to:
- Jonathan@WargamingRecon.com (Audio files welcome)
- Leave Telephone Voicemail: (347) 470-4263
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Find us on Facebook
- Stitcher Radio
- Send a Voicemail (free, you only need a microphone and computer).
Joshua Shoobridge edited the audio for this episode and wrote the show notes.
This recording is licensed under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 license.
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.
Wargaming Recon is dedicated to the memory of long time listener Andrew who helped to give the show its name. I ask all listeners to join me in a moment of silence in Andrew’s honor.